Friday, January 16, 2009

Just how delusional can a man be?

Well, not any man, my husband in particular. So he knows how hard I've been working to lose weight. He knows that I've lost quite a bit-35 or 36 pounds actually. He knows I get up early every morning to work out (while he's still snoring). He knows I've given up my cherished Diet Coke (ok, so only for 3 days, but that's a record for me!) and he knows that I pass on sweets and generally eat healthy all the time now. So, last night, he asks me how much more I want to lose. I say 15 pounds. He stops, then says that I should be able to get down to 100-110 pounds.

Ok, could someone please remind him that we live in the real world, not Barbie land? I am 36 years old, I've had 5 pregnancies and 4 c-sections, I have 2 different scars from those c-sections, and lots of belly in between them. Also, I am 35 pounds smaller than I was 4 months ago. Shouldn't that count for something? I know he's not trying to be hateful, but I'm just getting to the point of almost feeling OK about my body, and excited that if I lost 2 pounds a week then I would be where I want to be in about 2 months. He set me back about 3 weeks last night.

I know that his dream girl would be 100 pounds and have long stringy blonde hair. That is not me. I think that once I get to my ideal weight, maybe I'll just get my hair cut short and really show him!!! And maybe I'll tell him that when he turns into David Boreanaz (still my dream man) then I'll try to get down to 100 pounds. Of course, that would be mean and I don't want to be that way. But it's so uplifting to hear people ask if I've lost weight, then compliment me on my hard work, and then it all comes crashing down when the one person whose opinion matters the most is just not satisfied.

So I guess I'll just keep plugging on, and try to ignore him when his insensitive side comes out. And I'll ignore him when he offers me a bite of his cheesecake, as he did last night 20 minutes before he said I should weigh 100 pounds.

I know, men are not perfect. Neither am I. But how long do we have to be married before he learns what he should and shouldn't say? It's been almost 10 years and he hasn't learned yet!!!

1 comment:

Autumn said...

Welcome back to blogging, Lori! Congratulations on all your weight lost! That is fantastic! And men are men...enough said. They will NEVER understand.